Tuesday, August 6, 2013

This Is How We Do

What is life like as a Floridian?  Well, that is certainly what I am finding out.

I sure don't have all of the answers yet, but I am quickly picking up on small things, like:

  • You better put your foot on the gas before the light turns green... unless you want to be honked at
  • You must be on the offense as a driver... and shopper... even the workers will run you over
  • You only get tan if you go to the beach... and I've only spent about 1 and a half hours there so far
  • It rains.  Every day.  Randomly.  While the sun is still shining.
  • When talking about moving from Tennessee, most Floridians will tell you that the people here are not that nice... but just about everyone I've talked to HAS been nice
  • By the end of the year, I should be bilingual.

This is just the beginning, and I like it.

Dwayne is on his second job since moving down here.  We were pretty grateful that a job opportunity had appeared so quickly, and the details seemed perfect.  He was working for a door-to-door business sales company selling office supplies.  Now, the job itself didn't sound so spectacular, but it was going to pay the bills... so we thought.  Unfortunately, the company wasn't really following through with the guarantees they had made when he decided to sign on with the team.

Here's the great part... on his daily route, he kept stopping by a business looking to speak with the one in charge of purchases.  Since he had been there so many times, the owner began to talk with D and he soon realized that he was being offered a job.  She sympathized with the frustrations of cold sales door-to-door and had really grown to like him as a person.  She knew his greater goal in church planting and saw that as an extra boost of trustworthiness.  Dwayne discussed the offer with me, and the next day (Friday) he quit AMI.  He started at Horace Mann on Monday.  Boom.  Just like that.

So now, my husband is becoming an insurance agent!  Woohoo!  This week he is in school and has a GIGANTIC book of info that he has to memorize.  However, he is so much happier when he comes home every day than before, and I am entirely thankful for that.  

As for my day-to-day, I am learning what it's like to be a stay-at-home wife.  It's weird.  It takes self-discipline.  That I totally don't have.  

I am working on getting this house together.  And let me just tell ya that this is a lotta house compared to what I'm used to!  I am enjoying working each room like a puzzle and figuring out the best place for each piece.  Unfortunately, moving into a bigger home means buying lots of new stuff to fill it... and though we were blessed to have some extra from the sale of our Tennessee home, we are quickly watching that disappear.  So now I am left to figure out how to make it work with what we've got!  

Two major projects will be completed for your viewing pleasure soon!  

Stay tuned for more updates on life in SoFlo!

Sayin goodbye to Coco pup
Makin the 16 hour drive with the momz (Thanks for being my travel companion!)

Droppin Daddy off at the airport to say "See you later!"






No comments:

Post a Comment