Sunday, September 9, 2012

Live, Love, CREATE

Though I am a crafty crazed lady, I rarely find extra time to create all the wonderfulness I crave.  (That was a lot of 'cr' words.)  When I do get a moment to make something fun, or pretty, or...... whatever, I take a picture because the moments are rare!  Here are some things I've created recently:

(Let me preface... these don't necessarily fall under the "craft" category... but they are things that have enabled me to have a creative outlet...)


Lemon Poppy seed Cake with Lemon frosting!  Last year I had a bridal shower thrown for me by a few wonderful ladies back in Franklin.  Mariellen Sasseen made this DELICIOUS masterpiece and I begged for the recipe.  Fortunately for me, part of the shower was to bring recipe cards, and she already had this one ready for me!  It has two layers, so that was a first for me to experiment with, and I decided to decorate it with some fresh lemon slices!  I was super excited that the halves fit around the cake perfectly.  I was anxiously praying that they would all line up, and they did!  Unfortunately, this is not a cake that I got to eat.  I donated it for a cake walk at our church!  My lovely friend, Jordan, won the first cake walk, and she chose mine!  It was a proud moment in my life.


Using cleaned out baby food containers that were donated to me, I was able to create a class set of dice manipulators.  We can use these for ALL KINDS of math activities!  (addition, subtraction, place value, comparing numbers, etc)  The kiddos can shake the dice inside the container, so no crazy chasing of rolling cubes all over the classroom!


LOVED THIS ACTIVITY!!!  My bestest Caroline is gonna be poppin out a precious tot here in a couple of months.  Her sisters/moms helped to throw her first shower, and her sister Amy had such wonderful ideas for the event!  Everyone created a onesie.  I've seen this before, but it's normally with markers, and they don't turn out the best.  Amy provided a basket of various fabrics, scissors, and fabric glue.  They turned out SO cute.  I think little Jude might actually wear some of them!!!  This is the one I made.  It's a tree.  I hope you didn't need me to tell you that.  This type of crafting is totally up my alley.


For my classroom...  This is a Pinterest idea...  Last year, I used socks as erasers.  (WHAT?!?!)  Yes, socks.  Clean ones.  Tissues are wasteful, and they take time to pass out.  With socks, the kids can wipe easily, then stick the marker inside the sock for safe keeping.  Once they get passed the initial weirdness, they love it.  This year, I tried something even more fun... pom poms.  I hot glued them to the cap.  They are super cute and the students thought it was the best thing since Justin Bieber.  Well, here's my thought, "We'll see how long this lasts"...  Immediate problems I've noticed: once you use the poms to wipe, they start turning black (duh) which means they aren't as pretty as this picture.  Also, if the poms aren't glued super tight, they start pulling off of the caps.  So... cute idea... might be going back to the socks soon.

Fruit pizza!!!! I made this last night/today for our Fellowship Meal at church.  We were raising money for the youth, and so I helped by making a dessert.  A friend from our young married couples small group makes this all the time, and I cannot stop dreaming about the deliciousness.  So, I decided to go for it myself.  Incredible easy to make.  And look how pretty?!  Awww.... I mean, it's deceptive... Is it healthy or not?  I think the fruit balances out the cookie and cream cheese icing...  Right?

Yay for making things!  I've been stalking Pinterest.  I have boards full of things I want to make.  Let's all come together to ask God for a couple of extra hours in the day.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment