Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Here Comes the Sun

THE SPACE:
Backyard


THE MEMORIES:
  1. This yard saw a lot of imaginative and active play.  Oddly enough, most of it was from our neighbors.  We had the biggest yard around, so the neighborhood kids were constantly on our property.  It would make me frustrated, mostly because they were all boys, and I didn't want to play with them!
  2. I did, however, love spending time on the playground set my parents got for Connor and me.  I loved hanging out in the fort and pretending it was my own secret world.  My neighbor Erin and I enjoyed creating and selling our own "perfume made from mixtures of my mom's good-smelling products and pieces of nature, like acorns... and flower petals... We did actually have a customer!
  3. When we had grown out of the fun, we gave the playground to my high school Sunday School teacher and his family.  That did open up the yard for Connor to have a decent soccer field. (Never mind the giant slope in the yard.)
  4. In 2004, my mom had this deck built with some of the inheritance from my Grammie and Papa.  The deck was nearly completed just in time for my high school graduation party.
  5. The deck was never utilized to its greatest potential.  We probably only used the outdoor table enough times to be counted on two hands.  Dad was in charge of keeping the hot tub clean, but he was also the one who used it the most.  
  6. I love the look of the yard, but I will always look back and laugh at all the times my mom wanted to revamp the greenery.  It would look BEAUTIFUL.  Then, the weeds would take over.  (P.S. Weeding was my least favorite chore.  LEAST.)




Coco, what are you doing here, silly?  The only memories you have in this yard involve #1 and #2.

Before it was removed, the playground was right back there.  It took a long time to get the grass to look natural covering up the space where small rocks used to reside.

The table sat on the rounded section.  We had pretty cheap furniture that didn't hold up very long in the weather conditions.

We had lounge chairs up top.  I would lay out there on occasion, but I always felt awkward if the neighbors were in their backyards... Plus, we didn't have a pool to cool off.... Only the hot tub...

These are just the pretty planters my mom collected.  See how alive the flowers look?!

No comments:

Post a Comment