Saturday, July 21, 2012

Project Success!

Married friends- Do you and your husband wake up at the same time in the mornings?  During the school year, D and I are definitely on different schedules.  Every morning I will get up and get completely ready and walk into the bedroom to give him a kiss before I head for work.  He looks so cozy all sleepy-faced, smushed between the covers.  I hate love it!  I will already have been teaching for an hour before my husband even gets out of bed.  How unfair neat is that?? 

So, you'd think I would love to have the tables turned during the summertime since I am the one without anywhere in particular to be.  Notsomuch.  Dwayne has the luxury of showing up to work somewhere between 8:30 and 9:30... ish.  Yesterday he did not get out of bed until 9:07.  9:07?!?  Yes, that's what I said.  Because I am bitter and feel the need to take advantage of my summer sleepability, I choose to stay in bed even though I've already been awake for an hour.  This morning, however, it got to be 9:30, and I just had to get up and going while he slept for another hour and 15 minutes.  The sad thing is that my body has adjusted to being able to sleep late.  During the school year, I will be awake at 7:45 on a Saturday morning, and D will STILL sleep until 10:30 or later!!! 

This also causes problems at night because I have been up for 7985734958 hours, so come 9:30, I am OUT.  Whereas, he could stay up until midnight or later.  Am I the only person who experiences this dilemma?  Do you have a solution?  Kids I hear you say???  Give me time for that...


WELL, that was a long rant that had nothing to do with my main purpose for this post.  What I really wanted to share was my excitement in some DIY Pinterest projects that were a SUCCESS!!!  This week, I took three main projects on that would improve my classroom, and let me just go ahead and say that I am STOKED!  Yes, I said stoked.  Here is why:

Project #1:  Turn a place mat into ten frames for Math Stations
I got this idea from a blog I follow.  She mentioned some place mats she found at Walmart.  I actually did not go get them right away.  I just so happened to be walking down the Clearance aisle and saw one by itself.  It had no price on it, and there were no other ones like it, so the cashier gave it to me for $.25!!!  SCORE!!!  Here's the end product:
Original idea here.
I got 5 ten frames 4 five frames!

Project #2: Turn paint chips into word work!
Saw this on Pinterest, but also saw something earlier in the year that made me want to get out and do this, and I finally did!


















So the students can use the long strips as the beginning sounds of a word, and slide the word ending chunks along the strips to see what words they can make!  Yay!  Next step is to make some into contraction flippables (not a word, I know) and some math strips.  I'll update you when I get there.

Project #3: Get a drawer organizer from Lowe's and turn it into a labeled desk organizer!
Another Pinterest idea, there is a blogger who totally set every teacher up for a good deal by showing this idea and also providing the document for the labels that are ALREADY sized appropriately for the drawers!  THANK YOU FOR THAT!  I have left a few drawers blank to decide what I will need to put there the most!

Original idea here.

Finished product!




















So there you have it!  I have already taken it to school and filled it up with all kinds of goodies.

Speaking of goodies, has anyone been down the school supplies aisles of stores lately?? EXCITING!  I feel like a kid on sugar!  Give me school supplies any day!

Crafted out.

No comments:

Post a Comment